Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Home Town Pride

21st Century Burlesque’s top 50 of 2011 recently came out and as I spend probably too much time following links and watching videos I think about how we are probably pretty spoiled here in St. Louis. Any show I could go see at just about any time around here has performers just as good as the best on the list. Several have made the list but even those that aren’t yet as recognized or even new to the game perform with real quality.


In 2010 I took a trip to New Orleans. My travel companions and myself went out to see a burlesque show and band one night we were there. Our overall take on it was that it was ok but not great. Kinda meh. We didn’t do a lot of research and it’s understandable to figure we happened across an amateur show. The thing is though, that wont happen in St. Louis. I’m not entirely sure why, but there is an incredible community here. I suspect it might have something to do with the Van Ella Studio. All the new performers seem to go through there and a lot of those that have been around a while teach or spend time there. I don’t think there is anything stopping people from just putting on a show, but no one seems to want to do that outside of the community.


The result is that if you’re seeing someone perform for the first time it’s amongst a show full of veterans. They’re all so supportive of each other and as the audience, we really reap the benefits. 




No comments:

Post a Comment